Saturday, April 12, 2014

Bougainvillea Over Time

Spring flowering is in session!  New shoots and buds on all my trees and plants.  Still nothing from the fuscia, but I have a feeling it will be soon.  It's funny how some years my plants flower beautifully, and some years are total duds.  It is interesting seeing the difference over time.

Last year my bogenvelia looked amazing, and right now it looks deathly.  I've had it for almost 4 years now, which is pretty amazing.  It's gone through some pretty drastic differences, and was my first plant that I actually trimmed, and styled .  For example, It was 4 feet high at one point and I chopped it down to half a foot.  I really like where it's at right now, but I need to work on getting the flowering in specific spots on the tree.

Fast forward a few weeks. (this post has been sitting as a draft for a few weeks) A bird landed on one of the main branches the other day, and broke it off from the main trunk.  At first I was pretty angry, I had this tree as I wanted it, I liked where it was going, and all my work and time was now ruined.  But I managed to save it.  It will never be the same, but I also think that it helped me realize you can always improve the design.  Here's to not settling on a design, but continually improving.

And since this was quite the lesson for me, I decided to scour my old hard drives and post a few pictures over the years...

2/2012 - In Vegas, it was having a hard time outside, so it became an inside plant. (blury image)
3/2013 - LA was really good to it.  Did a lot of growing that year
8/13 - I think this was my best shot of it.  It went through 5 blooms that year.
3/2014 - damn bird, not looking so good either, first bloom of the season
4/2015 - Current shape.  Decided to go smaller since I lost a lot of the balance

No comments:

Post a Comment